1. Preheat the oven to 150 Fan Assisted/170°C/Gas Mark
2. Season the lamb well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Drizzle oil into a frying pan set over a high heat and brown the lamb shanks all over.
4. Pour the wine and balsamic vinegar into a casserole dish and boil for 5 minutes. Add the lamb shanks, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, half the rosemary and the stock.
5. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
6. Once boiling, place the dish into the oven and cook for 2 hours.
7. Remove the dish from the oven and add the onion, carrots, and
remaining rosemary. Return to the oven and cook for another hour,
or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
8. Remove the meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
9. Place the casserole dish onto a high heat and boil for 8-10 minutes, or until thickened slightly and season to taste.
10. Serve the meat and vegetables on pan fried Aviko Bubble and Squeak Gratins, and finish by pouring over the sauce.
Tip: Serve with roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine